Book or Kindle?

02:59



As a person who reads quite regularly I often get asked the question, "Do you prefer readings books or reading on Kindle?" Avid readers usually have a strong point of view on this topic, with most hardcore readers despising e-readers like Kindle. However, I can see the positives and negatives for both and regularly change between my Kindle and physical copies of books.

Let me start by saying I LOVE a book for so many reasons. I think there is a bit of nostalgia around them as I grew up in an age where there was no option for e-readers until I was in my teens. I love the way books look, feel and smell. I mean, what book lover doesn't love the smell of a bookshop? Speaking of bookshops, I think it's just more satisfying going to a shop and choosing a book. 



The downside of physical copies of books though can be their size, particularly if you are travelling with them. On my most recent holiday I took 4 books away with me and they took up a lot of valuable space and weight in my suitcase. And yes, I did read all of them. Another downside in my opinion is the inconsistency of the print. Have you ever noticed some books have really small print? I find it really difficult to read books with smaller prints which also makes me thinks they are less accessible for people who struggle with their vision.

Lets talk about the cost of books before moving onto e-readers. I rarely pay full price for a book. Honestly, I just cant bring myself to do it. There are so many offers on books in supermarkets or on amazon, often meaning you can get two books for the same price as one from bookshops like Waterstones. I know this is controversial amongst the book community as book shops are slowly dying out, but in this day and age where simply affording to live is a struggle, I will take any saving I can.


Carrying on with the topic of cost, obviously with e-readers you have got the initial cost of purchasing the device, as well as the cost of the e-books. It can be hard to establish which will be more costly in the long run, especially as people read at different rates. If you are reading less than 5 books a year, then it's definitely not worth it, but if you read multiple books a month then it might work out cheaper for you. Not only that but you can regularly get offers on the Kindle Store, with books costing 99p. 

Amazon also have subscription services for their Kindle users. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get a limited amount of books and magazines for free. Or, alternatively you can subscribe to Kindle Unlimited where you can get a much larger selection of books and magazines available to download. However, not everything will be available on this service so you may find yourself paying extra for particular books you want.

I have tried Kindle Unlimited and I think for people who read a couple of books a month, it is definitely worth the price. It is also a good way of discovering new authors and genres that you wouldn't usually go for. Kindle Unlimited is £7.99 a month, but Amazon often have deals on for new customers and may even reduce the monthly cost if you try to cancel your membership.


One of the benefits of e-readers is how little space they take up. This comes in handy when travelling. I took my Kindle on holiday with me in June and it was easy enough to throw in my bag and take it on the plane, around the pool and to the beach. However, you are more reluctant to leave it unattended if you fancy a dip in the pool or the sea, whereas leaving a book on your sun lounger is less likely to attract unwanted attention.

Another benefit of travelling with your Kindle means you are not stuck if you finish all of the books you have brought with you. These devices connect easily to wifi and allow you to download new books if you need too. Although, you could argue that a book will never run out of battery.

Finally, I think they are more accessible. You can customise the size of the font, with some books having text to speech options. Not only that, but most devices now have built in back lights meaning you can read in the dark, but also have a no reflective screen making it easier to read in direct sunlight.

Overall it really does come down to personal preference. I enjoy both and often rotate between the two. What are your thoughts on e-readers?



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe