Where to Start with The Sims 4 DLC

07:35

 


The Sims 4 base game has recently been made free to download for everyone but of course you still have to pay for extension packs. As The Sims 4 has been out for 8 years now, there is a lot of DLC (these are the extra packs you can download) available. Buying all of the DLC will set you back a hefty fee so here's my opinion on where to start.

Firstly, I am yet to try all of the DLC myself so this review will be based on my personal experience and all of the research I've done to help me make decisions on what DLC to choose. I am also in the process of building my DLC back up again, as previously I was playing The Sims 4 on my ex's computer and origin account. 

My first tip is to never pay full price for any packs you want. Origin has sales on them practically every month so hold out and keep an eye on the store. It may take a little longer for the newer packs to go into sale but if you can hold on a few months it will be worth the wait. Most of the time you can get up to 50% off.

How you play The Sims 4 will also impact the way you feel on the different packs. Personally I like a mix of game play and building so when I'm choosing DLC I like to find one that has a good mix of both.

Before we look at specific DLC in more detail, I just want to briefly discuss the different types of DLC and what they are. There are 4 types of DLC; expansion packs, game play packs, stuff packs and kits. Each is priced differently and has a different amount of content available. 

Expansion packs are the most expensive and they tend to include a new world, new game play and lots of new items in the build and buy and create a sim catalogues.

Game play packs are next. They often include a new bit of game play with some new items in the build and buy and create a sim catalogues. Build and buy are furniture items you can use when building and create a sim includes outfits, hairstyles and accessories you can use when creating a sim.

Stuff packs often include a tidbit of game play. For example, the nifty knitting pack introduced knitting as a new skill your sims can learn and again will include a small amount of new furniture and create a sim items.

Kits are often either build and buy items or create a sim items. You will get a small number of new items from either category and they tend to be themed. I don't believe these ever go on sale and are often only £1 or 2 cheaper than the stuff packs which include game play.


So, last month I had a bit of cash spare at the end of the month and decided to treat myself to my first bundle for The Sims 4 so that I can start to build up my collection again. Origin currently have some pre-made bundles available to buy for a reduced price. I opted for the Decorators Dream Bundle which included Cottage Living expansion pack, Dream Home Decorator game play pack and Tiny Living stuff pack. These are possibly my top 3 packs I would recommend. Each has a good mixture of game play and lovely build and buy and create a sim items.

You may hear a lot of people talking about the Seasons expansion pack. Most people love this pack as it adds seasons into the game giving it a more realistic feel. Honestly though, I'm not a fan and can find the weather to be quite annoying during game play. However, I do like a lot of the items that come with this pack in build and buy and create a sim.

The expansion packs I will be looking to made game next include; Cats and Dogs because a love being able to add pets and I also use a lot of the build and buy items, and Eco Lifestyle, mostly for the items it comes with but I do also enjoy the game play of this pack.

The only game pack that I really miss is Parenthood. Again, this is mostly for the items that it comes with. I use a lot of them in my builds but the added game play is also a nice bonus.


In terms of stuff packs, I enjoyed playing with Laundry Day and Nifty Knitting as I liked the added game play aspects of both. I'd also maybe look into Cool Kitchen stuff as it can be difficult to get a kitchen you love.

As for kits, although I do like a lot of the items that come with them, I personally just don't think they are worth the money. The chances are you will never use most of them items in them on a regular basis, where as will the other DLC at least you have the game play extras that you are likely to use during every game.

The most cost effective way to build up your DLC is through bundles. Occasionally, origin will let you build your own bundle which include an expansion, game play and stuff pack, although the best way to find this is often on the store on The Sims 4 game itself.

So there you have it. I will leave you with one final tip before I go. Don't forgot to check Amazon before you purchase any DLC as occasionally you may be able to get a better price on there. Make sure you choose the option that sends you a code once you have purchased it and then you can type that into Origin to claim it.

My username is B3fxe if you would like to follow me on the gallery. I haven't uploaded any builds yet but I'm still trying to get to grips with the controls on my laptop rather than a PC.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe